Thursday, August 26, 2021

Monday, August 23, 2021

Recovery Day #56!

I had set the alarm on my cellphone to 5am. It went off and we got up. I showered, shaved, dressed and we left the apt by 5:45. Teresa alerted the portero she would be returning from the hospital in an ambulance. I understood the portero told her that the ambulance won’t fit into the garage because of the low entrance. There must have been a miscommunication between Teresa and the taxi driver because he went a little past El Tesoro mall to a Covid-19 vaccination site.

Five minutes later we were at the mall. We went up to the 4th floor of Quirofanos where Teresa checked in. We were told that they do have a bed for her so she will be able to stay overnight. (Of course we had planned on returning to the apt today; I didn’t even bring a toothbrush.) At 6:15am Teresa pointed to a corner chair and told me I could sit over there. I sat down and as the minutes went by I wondered of she was coming back or had she gone in for her surgery. At 7am I gave up and asked a lady at the check-in desk if she had gone in for surgery. The lady took my name and phone number and I understood she would contact me when Teresa got out of surgery but it would be at least 1pm.

I went outside and quickly caught a taxi to the Cedimed clinic on Calle 7. I handed my prescription and cedula to the lady at the entrance and she asked me several things the only one of which I understood was bicycle and horse. (Not sure if she was talking about the past or the future.) Trying to be funny I told her I haven’t been on a bicycle, a horse, or a cow. I paid 58,500 ($15) for my PSA test and was given a little piece of paper with instructions as to how to recover my test results online. While waiting to be called I talked briefly with a man originally from Chile but had worked many years in New York. Soon I was taken in the back where a phlebotomist asked me a number of questions. I knew enough to show her what medications I’m taking and she did a blood draw. I understand the results will be available tomorrow.

I went next door to the Boulevard café where I had breakfast for 11mil.

I returned to El Tesoro by taxi. I printed some chess notes, changed my AD in a handicapped bathroom then had coffee in Santa Leña.

At 10:40 I received a text message that Teresa’s surgery was over and she would be in recovery for the next 2 hours. (I learned later that her surgery was supposed to be 2nd but got changed to 1st for some reason.)

I had a Caesar salad lunch in J&C Delicias. I received a number of unknown calls which I had difficulty answering so I returned to the clinic. At the desk a rep took me up to the 5th floor and into hospital room #3.

After some time Teresa was brought down and moved from the gurney to her bed. She said she wasn’t in pain and a couple English speaking doctors checked her over.

Later the doctors said she had a hematoma and they would soon try something but if it didn’t work she would have to go back to surgery. When they returned with what looked like a huge hypodermic needle I made my exit.

I went to one of the pharmacies in the mall where I bought a package of ADs, cream for my sensitive penis, and a small package of sleeping pills.

When I returned to the room they had finished their procedure. I understood they would wait a couple hours to see if it worked.

Teresa complained that her cellphone was dying and she asked me to go buy a charger. I finally found a double charger in Ktronix for 100mil. When I returned I learned that they had taken Teresa up for surgery, a simple procedure but she would still need general anesthesia.

While waiting for her to return the sun went down and the room soon got quite cold. I played with the thermostat and got it set to 26 degrees (79F) but even though the current temp was 20 degrees (68F) the A/C never shut down.

By the time they returned with Teresa I was sitting on the sofa with my t-shirt, jacket and a blanket wrapped around me to try to stay warm. Even though I complained to a number of different people it never got changed.

The sofa folded down into a bed that was fairly comfortable. I asked for a second blanket as otherwise I would be freezing all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment