Thursday, August 26, 2021

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Recovery Day #55!

Last night I went to bed at 11pm, fell asleep quickly, woke up at 2:30, changed my AD, updated my blog, watched some Game of Thrones, and returned to bed at 3:30, got up again at 5:30, changed my AD, and returned to bed.

I woke up to a little “thunk” as Teresa dropped my watch right next to my ear after looking at the time. I thought maybe I should check it too. It said 7:37 and I’m supposed to meet Glenn at 8:15. Yikes! I got up, peed, showered, dressed, shaved and was out of the apt by 8:10. Glenn mentioned while I’m usually early today I was 1 minute late. Lol.

We quickly caught a taxi and the driver was listening to 106.9FM, the American music station. He didn’t speak English but he mentioned he liked Guns & Roses, The Beatles, Madonna, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, and Queen as they played Hot Stuff by Donna Summer. We got out at Calle 10 & Carrera 37, D’Andre restaurant; they have a lot of American food options. I had their French toast with a couple scrambled eggs and bacon and Glenn had their pancakes with sausage. Just as our food arrived an 80-year-old gringo named James from Virginia stopped by on his way out. He informed us that a large group of gringos meet at the Starbucks a block away every day from 12:30 to 2pm. We explained that we live in Envigado and with the construction near La Frontera it’s difficult to get here any day but Sunday morning.

We left about 9:45 and walked 6 blocks to check out a cafĂ© called Amelia. From outside I could easily see I wasn’t impressed – just coffee and a limited selection of pastries. We decided to call it a day and quickly returned to Envigado by taxi.

They got out at Jumbo and I continued on to Viva Envigado. I recycled a couple plastic bottles then went upstairs looking for The Waffle House which, according to the internet, was at local 428 but I couldn’t find it.

I made an ATM withdrawal, printed some chess notes, bought eggs and milk and returned to the apt by taxi.

I haven’t posted to my blog since Thursday so I’d better get to it.

I had a nap of about an hour after lunch.

I watched a little live stream of a 19-year old girl playing a simultaneous in Portland, Oregon.

We left the apt at 6:30 and walked to the mall. On the way she was doing her usual walking 10 yards in front of me. I got pissed and stopped and crossed my arms until she noticed I wasn’t behind her. This happened a couple more times until she finally let me catch up with her. I asked her if she’s with me or not. She stated that she wants to get to the beauty shop before they close. I told her this isn’t the first time this has happened. She finally slowed down to my pace.

At the beauty shop she found someone she knew. She told me she had 5 beauty shops before the pandemic and now this is her only one. There was a 15-minute wait and then Teresa got her nails done. After, we went into Exito 2 minutes before closing and she picked out a set of sheets. The checkout lines were so long I think she got frustrated and she put the set down and walked out. There was a long line for a taxi and we ended up walking back to the apt.

 

T-shirt of the day

Warren Wilson College. Cane Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment