Sunday, February 14, 2016

Saturday, February 13th, 2016



For the first time for breakfast in Colombia I had crispy bacon with my scrambled eggs, arepa and coffee.

It’s been a while since I’ve checked on new movie releases.  I know I want to see The Martian (8.1; I’m almost done with the book) and The Revenant (8.2) but I checked and there isn’t anything else I want to see.
It’s another delightfully overcast day at the finca with a noontime temperature of only 72 degrees.

We decided to see The Revenant at Oviedo today at 2:20pm.  Teresa originally requested 6pm but I overrode her for 2 reasons: I wanted to stop at MBE first before they close at 5pm and I thought with it being the weekend it might be too crowded at 6pm.

We left the finca at 12:15, saw Guillermo painting the lower half of his finca green, gave the black dog a large and small dog biscuit, and were on a bus to Poblado after a 10 minute wait.

On the way Teresa called MBE to have my documents waiting for me and we found that it was closed.  Aaargh!  It closes at noon on Saturday – and I knew that.  So we got off the bus in Aguacatala instead and took a taxi directly to Oviedo.  The driver stopped at Carulla but Teresa didn’t know it’s the back entrance to Oviedo.  I told her I knew the area and we got out of the taxi.  I led her directly to the Oviedo food court.  Once more I know an area of Medellin better than her.  

With all the extra time we stopped at Frisby for lunch.  I ordered a Frisburrito with ranch sauce and medium Pepsi and Teresa ordered a spring salad and juice for a total of 32,900 ($10).  My Frisburrito leaked all over – I probably won’t order something that messy again.

A woman came up to me and asked if I speak English.  (I’ve been waiting 3 years for someone to ask me that.)  I said yes and she introduced herself as Christie Wailes.  She read my blog for the first year and a half (I hope I didn’t do anything to turn her off) and recognized me from my picture.  She and her husband live in Medellin 6 months out of the year and the other 6 in the Dominican Republic.  He works using the internet and they live in El Poblado.  Her husband wasn’t with her because he is sick and she was picking up some food for him/them.

While Teresa was finishing her meal I made a trip to the restroom.  On my way back a young woman passed in front of me going in the same direction as I.  She was in high heels, jeans, and blouse and it was obvious her boobs were popping out of her bra.  I followed her for a few yards then she made a quick left turn and after a few steps made an about face and turned right in front of me again.  I got another good look at her and her bra appeared too small for her and must have just barely covered her nipples.  Damn, there are some good looking women here!

We bought our tickets at Cine Colombia for 19,000 pesos ($5.75) and then I bought Combo #1 – large popcorn and 2 large sodas for 20,900 ($6.30).  I estimate there were about 2 dozen people in the theater.

The movie was very good with lots of action, and Teresa loved it.
When we were coming down the escalator at 5pm we saw long lines of people waiting to buy tickets.

Teresa did a little window shopping in a couple department stores then we stopped in a store named Prego where we shared a medium gelato with peanuts for 8,500 pesos ($2.60).  A young Colombiano that worked there spoke a little English so we had a little conversation with his limited English and my limited Spanish.

I finished Andy Weir’s 320 page The Martian.  Some technical things in the book were difficult to imagine so for at least that reason I’d like to see the movie.

We stopped in Carulla and bought a couple packages of arepas.  I looked for packages of Kraft mac n cheese but no luck.

We took a taxi to the highway where we found a bus waiting for us.  We arrived at the sideroad by 6:45, I gave the black dog a large dog biscuit as we were passing Guillermo’s and we were back at the finca by 7pm.

The Colombian Peso closed at 3,382 to the US dollar.

I downloaded Henri Charriere’s 416 page Papillon.  Besides seeing the movie several times I believe I read the book years ago.

T-shirt of the day: On the road again.

1 comment:

  1. Terry,

    You keep looking for Kraft Mac 'N Cheese there w/o much success.

    Here is a copycat recipe for the Kraft version, the ingredients for which should all be easily available there in your area all the time:

    http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/macaroni-cheese.html

    I've made this recipe and it tastes very close to the real thing.

    See what you think.

    Cheers!

    Paul M.
    Tampa, FL
    ==

    ReplyDelete