Saturday, September 29, 2018

Friday, September 28, 2018


I got up twice during the night, again at 6:15, and woke/got up at 7:45.  A large tour-type bus was parked outside the front of our building with its engine idling in high; it was very noise for the 15 minutes or so that it sat there blocking the street.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and headed for the gym.  I picked up Adn and Q’Hubo newspapers on the way but didn’t see a Gente.  At the gym I completed all my exercises in an hour and 55 minutes.  (I’m still a little uncertain about my hamstrings but at least there is no pain.)  On the way back to the apt I took a risk that I would find a Gente newspaper without going out of my way to Comfama.  The corner Gana store didn’t have them but I found stacks of them in Exito.

Laura left the apt at 12:45 to order and bring back Chinese food.  (Teresa had told me to give her some money because she’s going to buy rice.  Well, rice is very inexpensive plus I couldn’t believe we wouldn’t have some in the apt.  I have to press Teresa to tell me that she’s going for Chinese food not just rice.  Sigh!)

Among new US movie releases the only one I’m interested in is The Old Man & The Gun (7.0).

Locally, the only movie I might want to see is Johnny English (6.7) playing at Oviedo at 6:15.

For about 35,000 pesos ($12) Laura came back with 2 containers of Chinese food – chop suey with chicken and chicken rice with sweet & sour sauce on the side.

I received an email from Envios Market that I have a package waiting for pickup; probably MT’s floss.

Ana Maria finally arrived at 2pm and the first thing she said to me is “Have you found me a boyfriend?”  I pretended not to understand.  We all sat down and ate the Chinese food.

She brought shoes for the ladies to try on.  Also dresses and some jewelry.

I want to go to Envios Market to pick up MT’s package but right now the skies look a little threatening.

Teresa found a very colorful pair of walking shoes that she wanted for 15,000 pesos ($5) so I bought them for her.  I questioned all the colors but she said that’s the fashion right now.

Teresa asked me to bring her a slice of carrot cake and Laura wanted a cinnamon roll from Cinnabon.

Finally at 3:30 I left the apt and took a bus to Envios Market.  I picked up MT’s package for 2,800 pesos and paid the 39,000 pesos for October’s rent.

Outside I quickly caught a bus.  As we passed one of the newer building I thought I saw a Citibank office – at least I saw a red Citi sign.

I took the bus up to Starbucks.  As I was getting off I heard something fall and picked up what I thought was a nut (hardware kind) but it turned out to be a small watch battery.  I stuck it in my pocket and nobody said anything to me.  It was raining lightly just hard enough to get me to open my umbrella.

At Starbucks they didn’t have the Café Mocha Blanco that I usually order so I got a Vanilla Latte which turned out to be pretty good.  I also ordered a slice of carrot cake for myself and one to go all for a total of 23,700 pesos – pretty expensive by Colombian standards.

Most of the tables were taken so I got a seat facing a window.  I used their internet while eating my carrot cake and drinking my latte – which was pretty good by the way.  The rain had stopped by this time.

I walked the 2 blocks to Santafe mall where I bought a cinnamon roll for Laura for 5,000 pesos from Cinnabon.

Back outside and across the street I caught a bus that was standing room only.  As more people got off using the back door and more people got on using the front door I worked my way towards the back.  I had only one hand to hold the overhead railing since my other hand was holding my packages.  The driver didn’t help any with his hurky jerky driving.  At one point I looked down to check my step counter and saw that the top was missing.  Now I know what the battery was from.

I was standing over a young woman who was texting on her cellphone.  I was thinking that if she noticed me I would just say not to worry because I don’t understand Spanish.  About the time we were approaching Envigado she looked up and said “hello” in English.  I was taken aback and then I saw that it was Nobraska.  I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you from the top of your head.  Soon she got off at the new little park right where the bus starts its detour and I got off on our street.

I was back at the apt just before 6pm.

For dinner we finished the Chinese food.

Today’s Step Count was ???.

Joke of the day
My wonderful girlfriend and I had been dating for over a year, and so we decided to get married. There was only one little thing bothering me. It was her beautiful younger sister. My prospective sister-in-law was twenty-two, wore very tight miniskirts, and generally went braless.

One day 'little sister’ called and asked me to come over to check the wedding invitations.  She was alone when I arrived, and she whispered to me that she had feelings and desires for me that she couldn't overcome. She told me she wanted to make love to me just once before I got married and committed my life to her sister.

Well, I was in total shock, and couldn't say a word.  She said, 'I'm going upstairs to my bedroom, and if you want one last wild fling, just come up and get me.'

I was stunned and frozen in shock as I watched her go up the stairs. When she reached the top she pulled off her panties and threw them down the stairs at me.  I stood there for a moment, then turned and ran straight to the front door.  I opened the door, and headed straight towards my car.

Lo and behold, my entire future family was standing outside, all clapping!   With tears in his eyes, my future father-in-law hugged me and said, “We are very happy you passed our little test. We couldn't ask for a better man for our daughter. Welcome to the family”.

And the moral of the story is:  Always keep your condoms in your car.

No comments:

Post a Comment