Sunday, September 30, 2018

Saturday, September 29, 2018


Last night I fell asleep quickly, got up once at 5am, catnapped after that and woke/got up at 7:30.

At my request Teresa made me oatmeal again for breakfast.

Teresa and I left the apt at 9am and quickly caught a taxi down the hill.  On the way Teresa and I kidded each other about getting a 1-year marriage contract and then we would just renew it every year.  Because I am familiar with the Laureles area I had the taxi driver take side streets and let us off by the little park across from Exito; this saved us having to cross the busy Avenida 80.  We walked around the corner to Notaria 31 and it was closed.  Their schedule included hours for Saturday but there were some additional words underneath that I interpreted as being something like “every other week”.  Teresa went to the store next door and talked to a lady and I understood “every 5 Saturdays”; not sure if it’s open “every 5 Saturdays” for closed “every 5 Saturdays”.

We walked across the street to the mall and Teresa and I stopped at Juan Valdez where we had coffee and shared a polito de queso (cheese finger) for 12,400.  Teresa went to check out the stores while I used their internet.

When she returned we decided to make a quick trip to Pricesmart.
We used one of the taxis outside the mall that usually take people back to their houses with their groceries.

At Pricesmart I once again didn’t find the frosted carrot cake I’ve been looking for, they didn’t have English muffins and the large bottles of Strawberry preserves now only come in a 2 pack.  Teresa did find a few things (including an unfrosted carrot cake) and we checked out for 180,000 pesos ($60).

We stopped in their food court and had their delicious BBQ chicken wings and sodas.  We got an order of 12 to take back for Laura.
We had to wait about 10 minutes for a taxi.  The driver spoke a little English and he complimented me on my Spanish.  We got a light drizzle on our way back to the apt.

In yesterday’s Gente newspaper there was an article about a march last week where they were protesting the removal of green space in order to make the Metro Plus; but they want the Metro Plus also.

I forgot to mention I spent over an hour yesterday chatting with reps from Philips trying to find an instruction manual in Spanish for MT’s Sonicare AirFloss Ultra.  I was finally successful and I copied it to my flashdrive.  After we returned to the apt today I printed out the manual at the local internet cafĂ© and then bought milk and a 400ml Coke for tomorrow’s game at the corner store.
Laura left about 7pm in full makeup probably because she’s going dancing.

It was a cool evening so I wore a jacket in addition to my jeans and warmer t-shirt.  We left the apt about 7:30, met MT at her corner and quickly were in a taxi to Antica Pizza.  It was busy and we had to wait about 10 minutes for seats inside.

After we ordered I noticed there was a young gringo on the other side of me talking to a young woman in English.  He was from California and talked, among other things, about a bicycle accident he was in that resulted in a dislocated shoulder and broken arm.  The woman he was with could have been Colombian but her English seemed to be perfect.

After the pizza instead of catching a taxi right away we walked about 4 blocks towards home before MT got tired and then we caught a taxi.

Joke of the day
A 6 year old and a 4 year old are upstairs in their bedroom. 'You know what?' says the 6 year old. 'I think it's about time we started cussing. The 4 year old nods his head in approval.
The 6 year old continues, 'When we go downstairs for breakfast, I'm going to say something with hell and you say something with ass.' The 4 year old agrees with enthusiasm.
When the mother walks into the kitchen and asks the 6 year old what he wants for breakfast, he replies, 'Aw, hell, Mom, I guess I'll have some Cheerios.' WHACK! He flies out of his chair, tumbles across the kitchen floor, gets up, and runs upstairs crying his eyes out, with his mother in hot pursuit, slapping his rear with every step. His mom locks him in his room and shouts, 'You can stay there until I let you out!'
She then comes back downstairs, looks at the 4 year old and asks with a stern voice, 'And what do YOU want for breakfast, young man?'
‘I don't know’, he says, ‘but you can bet your ass it won't be Cheerios!'

No comments:

Post a Comment