Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tuesday, November 18th, 2014



I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep.  I realized I forgot to take my Tamsulosin during dinner.  I got up 3 times before 4am.  I heard Laura in the shower at 7am so I think she may have been late getting up for school.  I finally woke/got up at 9:30am.

I asked Teresa if Laura was late for school.  Teresa said she has finished school but she is having trouble with math so she went to see a teacher in Caldas for help.

After the local news on TV, they showed highlights of Colombia beating the US in soccer 2-1.  Next up is Colombia vs Slovenia.  This must be a replay because I see James Rodriguez playing for Colombia and since the last World Cup he has been playing for Real Madrid.

Teresa told me she won’t have time to make lunch today so we’re just going to have some fruit salad before we leave.

We left the finca at 1:25, got past the killer dogs undetected, and were at the highway by 1:45.  Workers are clearing trees and brush for the expressway just uphill from the entrance to the side road.  We caught an express bus to Medellin after a 10 minute wait.  Because we may be running a little late we decided to skip Mayorca for today so we got off at the Pablado metro station.  We took a taxi to MBE for 4,200 pesos.  I was pleasantly surprised to find they had all 3 of my orders: the supplements, the umbrella and the pepper spray.  I owe another 23 mil for everything because I didn’t have enough cash on me.  We opened all the boxes there so we would have less to carry.

We walked down to Exito where I took some cash out of the ATM and then we had our usual lunch at Frisby: Combo#2 for me and Frischuleta for Teresa for a total of 37,300.  While waiting for our food I showed Teresa the new umbrella.  It comes in a nice carrying case so you can carry it over your shoulder.

We walked down to Avenida Las Vegas where we caught a bus to Torre Médica where my Urologist’s office is.

While waiting I read my Nook and Teresa went through a fashion magazine.  She showed me a picture of a skinny model and mentioned that Ana is skinny like this.  I was very surprised when Teresa told me Ana was beautiful when she was younger and that she’s younger than Teresa.  I understood Ana is about 50 but because of all her wrinkles (because of constant smoking?) she looks more like 70.

We got in to see the doctor at 4:40.  I introduced him to Teresa as my girlfriend although she had already introduced herself.  

First I gave him my blood test results.  I understand my total PSA is too high and my Free PSA is too low.  In fact, although I took the special vitamin supplements for 4 months, my total PSA is worse instead of better.  I told him I just picked up another 4 months supply and he said they won’t make things any worse.  I told him I found blood in my undershorts once last week but he didn’t seem concerned about that.  He recommended I get a biopsy to make sure I don’t have prostate cancer.  On one hand he said it would be a rectal exam and on the other hand he mentioned an ultrasound so I don’t know for sure what’s going to happen.  (My best guess is the Radiologist will take a biopsy by going in through the rectum using an ultrasound to guide him.)  He gave me a list of 3 medications I need to take the day before my procedure.  I also understood I’m not to have any rice, juice or vegetables because they could cause bloating.  He gave me the name of a Radiologist, Dr. William Quiceno, who he said is the best at this procedure but he said he is outside Medellin and I understand he’s near the North Terminal or maybe we have to take a bus from there.  Anyway, Teresa knows more about where the doctor is and my premedications than I.

I asked him if he could recommend a mild sleeping pill and he gave me the name of a 3mg tablet but recommends I cut it into thirds and start with only taking 1mg.

I asked for the name of an English speaking general practicioner and he gave a name and number and said he’s in an English speaking clinic or hospital so he should speak English.

I questioned him about one of the phone numbers because it was only 6 digits but he didn’t change anything.

I paid my 160mil and we walked outside the building.  Teresa looked at what he had written and FINALLY questioned why there were only 6 digits there – 445900.  I guessed that the last digit will probably be another 0 but we went back and Teresa talked to the receptionist about the problem and she added the extra 0.

We went next door to a pharmacy where we found everything except the sleeping pills for 174,400.

We walked across the highway and caught a bus to Envigado for 4mil.
At Envigado we decided it was too late to buy more food there so we walked to the expressway and caught a bus to Caldas for 6mil.  It was standing room only on the bus and most of the windows were closed so it was pretty stuffy.  I observed a young lady in a leather jacket with elastic cuffs who finally cracked her window a little.  I saw a young man in what looked like a high school letter jacket that said “Red Crabs, est. 1988” on the back.

In Caldas we stopped at Merkepaisa where we bought 40,800 pesos of groceries.  Laura met us there and helped carry everything to the bus.  On the way Teresa was still in her high heels and tripped and fell on one knee.  She didn’t hurt herself but she did get a small hole in her jeans.  Sidewalks here aren’t like in the States, each store or residence builds them at whatever height and angle they desire, and they aren’t so quick at making repairs, so you always have to keep your eyes open as to where you’re walking. 

We took a bus to the side road where we got off in the dark.  There was’t any moonlight this time but we were all glad I have the little flashlight in my cell phone.

Once again we were lucky to get past the killer dogs undetected.

At the finca I found an email from Margarita with a copy of my last Une bill: 72,964 for my September charge and 180mil for cancelling early for a total of 252,964.  Teresa will call her tomorrow to find out if I pay Marta or Une.

I also found we did have my sleeping pills, it’s the injection we don’t have.  It appears I have to buy my own shot and take it to the doctor to be injected one hour prior to the procedure.

Using my Walgreens pill cutter I cut up a couple 3mg sleeping pills.  I took one at 10pm and we went to bed at 11pm with me feeling very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment