Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Gringo Rant (Buses)



This is another gringo's rant about buses in Bogota, Colombia that I received from Expat Exchange.  This mirrors what I have personally experienced in Medellin.

I am still sore from yesterday, using an SITP blue bus, in Bogota. They drive like maniacs, trying to keep to their impossible allocated time for the journey, so they get their bonus. Halfway through the turnstile, the driver slammed his foot down, and I went hurtling to the back. Only 2 seconds later, he slammed on the brakes for a red light (He could have seen it before he accelerated), and I then went hurtling to the front again, where my arm struck something and started gushing blood. (Yep, I'm serious), and the driver didn't give a damn, not even to offer me a band aid. But that’s pretty mild. I see mad motorcyclists taking risks, and that's their risk. But an ordinary cyclist is target practice, and every bus I ride in, seems to try and kill the cyclist, or thinks the cyclist has no right to be on the road. As a cyclist myself, I sympathise with the poor bikers, and wonder how there aren't more of them killed each day. My own troubles seem rather small in comparison. So I just ignore the pain in my arm. :) But yeah, that’s the "flavor" of Locombia. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment