Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Monday, November 10th, 2014



I fell asleep pretty quickly, got up twice during the night, and woke/got up at 8:15.

After my shower I had a quick breakfast of calentao, scrambled eggs, arepa and coffee.
Ramiro showed up at 9:30 with his daughter.  She’s in her early 20’s and has a tummy – I wonder how many kids she’s had already.  I made 3 trips with them up and down the hill to the side road carrying closet parts.  At least the Doberman wasn’t there and the other two dogs just bark but keep their distance. 

Ramiro has almost everything pre-cut so all he has to do is assemble it.  

They took a break for lunch at 12:30.  Teresa made lentil soup, chicken with rice, fruit salad and juice.

The washer/dryer isn’t working so Teresa is washing all our clothes by hand.  It’s difficult to dry things because it rains so many days and sometimes there is wash hanging out on the line and Teresa has to dash outside to collect it when she hears it starting to rain.  Because of that I helped her set up 2 separate clothes lines in the laundry room using the hemp rope she bought at Home Center.

Laura came home at 1:30.

I watched Video Games: The Movie on Netflix which reminded me of my own experience with viedo games. 
I remember playing Pong for the first time on my honeymoon in the Catskills in 1979.
My first computer was an IBM PC that I bought Christmas Eve in 1981 for about $5000.  It didn’t do much because I think there was only something like 16K of RAM memory and there wasn’t even a disk drive.
The first game I remember was on one of my old PCs where there was no video.  You just gave written commands like Turn Left, Move Forward and you would receive a description of each new room you would enter.
I remember having a lot of fun playing Super Mario Bros with my son using the TV as a display and I recall him playing Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Kart and Paperboy.
I remember us struggling to figure out Myst with only a little progress.

Teresa called my Urologist and made an appointment for next Tuesday, November 18th at 4:30pm for 160mil.

I got an email from my brother.  It’s a confirmation of his COPA airlines reservation for next year’s visit - flight #CM531 arriving in Medellin next February 20th (Friday) at 5:28pm and departing on flight #CM646 February 28th (Saturday) at 1:18pm.  I know he doesn’t want to sit around here.  He’s already mentioned spending a few days in my old neighborhood and an overnighter in that nice hotel in SantaFe.

Ramiro left at 5pm.  He still has to put all the doors on and add handles so he will come back early tomorrow to finish everything.  I didn’t expect he would build basically an upper level storage area complete with doors.  The problem is it blocks the only light in the room so we decided we would talk to him about rewiring the light to the center of the room.

Teresa helped me move a lot of my stuff from the suitcases I have been living out of for the last 6 weeks to my shelves and other things on hangars.  I’m sure I’ll take a few days to move things around like I want them.

At 7pm for dinner I had a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with coffee.

The currency exchange rate closed today at just over 2100 pesos to the dollar; just last June it was at only 1850.  Yay!

Teresa made popcorn and we started watching Tom Hanks in The Terminal until we went to bed at 9:30.  I’m glad she’s enjoying these American movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment