Sunday, November 2, 2014

Saturday, November 1st, 2014



I got up once at 4:30am and once again had difficulty getting back to sleep.  At 5:15 Luna started barking for some reason.  At 5:30 the fireworks factory set off their first test of the day; that’s when I could see the first light coming through the top edge of the shutters.  At 5:45 Luna started barking again.  At 7:30 Une called and I understood they will be coming tomorrow afternoon.  I guess Teresa got up then but I fell back asleep and woke/got up at 8am.

The plan today is to go to MBE to pay my box rental for November and then stop in Mayorca where I can buy at least one pair of new jeans and Teresa will get her hair done and a manicure.  While she’s doing her thing I’ll try to find Wi-Fi to take care of a few things with my iPad.

We left the finca around noon, managed to slip unnoticed past the killer dogs and caught a Fredonia bus after a 10 minute wait.  We got off in El Poblado and walked a couple blocks up the hill to the Exito.  When we got inside we saw a long line into BanColombia probably because it’s the first of the month.  Teresa sat down at a table in their food court while I got in line at the bank.  I motioned her over and tried to give her the forms for the drawing she had filled out but she reminded me they are only for the grocery store in Caldas.  I got back in line and noticed there was no one in front of the ATM machine.  I waved Teresa over and we walked over and took out some cash.  Teresa wanted to buy a small frying pan so we went into Exito and found one for 9mil but when we went to pay we decided to skip it today because the lines were so long.  Beware the 1st of the month in Exito!

On our way up Calle 10 she mentioned that after MBE we would take a bus to Envigado and another bus to Majorca CC.  I told her it would be faster to walk back down to the metro which would take us directly to Majorca.

We walked up 3 blocks to MBE to pay my November rent but I understood the lady there can’t create a receipt.  I seem to remember that happening to me before.  I guess we should have called first.  Tomorrow’s Sunday and Monday is a holiday so we plan to come back on Tuesday.  While we were there I asked the lady what would be the fastest way to get to Majorca and she said to walk down to the metro station.  So there!
We did that and had lunch at AsiaWok, very similar to Panda Express, for 31,400.
We went upstairs and found a couple pairs of blue jeans for me but Teresa had them hold them for us while we looked around some more.  We went outside and finally found 3 pairs of blue jeans for me for a total of 129,900 (43,200 each or less than $22 a pair) which I charged to my debit card.  While we were outside we stopped and recharged Laura’s cell phone with 10mil.

Back inside the mall Teresa bought some hair and fingernail supplies for 19mil.  I thought she was going to have her hair and fingernails done in the mall.  I had asked her how long it would take to do that and she replied 2 hours so I thought I would be reading my emails while she was having herself done.

We stopped for a snack at Grupo de Lolita where I was finally able to get a decent Wi-Fi connection.  We each had a slice of strawberry cheesecake and cup of coffee for 15,600.  Teresa seemed surprised when I told her that in America this is called cheesecake.  She couldn’t believe the filling was cheese.  I called over the waitress and asked her what’s inside and she replied queso – cheese.  Teresa was in shock.  We stayed there about an hour while I accomplished some things on my iPad that I need Wi-Fi for:
I emailed the photo of my health insurance payment(s) to Natalia Holgun.
I saw that yesterday I received 4 emails from the Miami MBE office requesting a copy of my purchase order from Amazon for the 4 bottles of pepper spray.  I think I was successful in sending it to them.
I tried to send the purchase order from Shedrain for my umbrella but I don’t think the order itself got downloaded properly.
I sent a followup email to my son giving him the address to use if he was going to send the SuperNintendo by USPS.
I tried to post a little message to my blog but when I tried to log in it looked like it was using Harry Kamp’s userid so I gave up on that.
I wanted to order more prostate vitamins from GNC but that proved to be too difficult to do from my ipad.
I read many of the 34 outstanding emails I had received since last Wednesday.

We stopped at La Sasteria where I had my new jeans measured and they wanted to know if we want to pick them up tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday (a holiday).  We told him Tuesday afternoon would work for us.

We stopped at El Corral and bought a hamburger and French fries for Laura for 16,500.

At least I managed to find some more “t-shirts” today to add to my blog.

We left the mall and walked a couple blocks where we waited for a bus back to the finca.  We waited for about 15 minutes for an express bus and we were about to give up when we got the last 2 seats on a Fredonia bus exactly at 6pm.  Teresa got a seat about halfway back and I sat in the back row.  There were already 3 men and 2 women each with a baby or child in their lap, but they made room for me and my butt just barely squeezed in.

When we got off the bus there was a half moon giving us enough light to see the side road without using a flashlight.  We got just passed the neighbor’s house when the killer dogs came out.  I held them off with my umbrella while threatening them with my pepper spray and Teresa used a stick.

We got back to the finca at 7pm.

When we got home Teresa realized we forgot to pay the electric bill at Exito.  I guess that’s one more thing we will have to take care of next Tuesday.  It looks like we’ll be retracing our steps next Tuesday: returning to Exito, MBE, and Mayorca.

Teresa and Laura watched a Colombian concert from Miami and then there was a program about Colombianas who have won beauty contests.  They told me there’s a good movie coming on at 10pm so I guess it will be a late night tonight.  The movie started at 9:20 and it starred Jodie Foster and I believe the translation is Flight Plan.  The only problem for me is that it’s dubbed in Spanish.  During each commercial Laura switched to a different movie called A Mother’s Fury.

We went to bed at 11pm.

T-shirt of the day: Give love, its summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment